The busy people of today’s modern world are in constant search of ways and means of achieving ideal weight without the going through long hours of daunting workouts. With that in mind, perhaps the honey and cinnamon for weight loss craze can help. Yes, the same popular cinnamon spice has potential properties to help a person to have control over weight gain.
There are two popular powdered spice Cinnamon, the Chinese and Ceylon. Both the Chinese and Ceylon Cinnamon shared the same scent and flavor, except the Ceylon is sweeter. Cinnamon trees are found and grow mostly in South East Asia and had been known throughout the history of mankind for having medicinal properties.
Known Health Benefits of Cinnamon
- Blood sugar control
- Improve brain functions
- Contains calcium
- Rich in fiber
- Stop and prevent yeast infection according to one study
- Lessens the growth and development of lymphoma and leukemia cancer cells
- Suppress appetite, which is good for weight loss
Essential Oils In Cinnamon Bark
- Cinnamyl acetate
- Cinnamyl alcohol and cinnamaldehyde
Cinnamon and Weight Loss Connection
The cinnamon weight loss approach has been around for years. Although, there had been no single study to focus about the effect of cinnamon in weight loss, many claimed to have good results using it.
Probably, the effectiveness of cinnamon to control weight gain and shed excess weight is due to its ability to control insulin and cholesterol levels efficiently within ideal and healthy levels.
When the body has control over both insulin and cholesterol, there is a boost in metabolism resulting an efficient burning of carbs and fats. Moreover, when the body becomes an efficient fat burner, it prevents and regulate fat storage, and bulging or accumulation of fats within the belly area is prevented.
Another good thing about Cinnamon is its ability to reduce LDL(Low Density Lipoprotein), the bad cholesterol while boosting HDL(High Density Lipoprotein), the good cholesterol at the same time. It also has thermogenic effect as it produces heat within the body due to some chemical reactions.
Likewise, metabolic process of the body increases to counterbalance the increased heat to stabilize temperature. In fact, this exact thermogenic process is used by thermogenic fat burning supplements.
Practical Uses Of Cinnamon For Weight Loss Purposes
With a bit of creativity and imagination, Cinnamon can be incorporated into a typical daily diet routine in numerous ways. Here are some common and quick practical ways to use Cinnamon.
- Cinnamon in cereals for breakfast
- Cinnamon sprinkle in fruits such as apple and pears for snacks
- Cinnamon sprinkle in yogurt
- Cinnamon sprinkle in tea
- Cinnamon sprinkle in coffee with butter(best when coffee and cinnamon is mixed while in the coffee maker)
These are just a few ways to use Cinnamon. In cooking, cinnamon stick can be use to flavor foods. Regardless how Cinnamon is used and consumed regularly, it does the same effect of boosting the body’s metabolism along with other health benefits mentioned previously.
Hence, it is always a good idea to keep a small container with Cinnamon handy at the kitchen, or at the dining table. This makes easy to to use cinnamon during cooking, or during meal time. Experts suggest using Ceylon Cinnamon as it offers more health benefits than Chinese Cinnamon.
Honey and Cinnamon Combination
Both honey and Cinnamon can be combined into a typical diet routine. Mentioned earlier, cinnamon can help control weight and fat storage along with many other health benefits. Furthermore, research have shown that a single teaspoon of Cinnamon in every meal can boost the body’s metabolism to a significant level.
Nutritional Benefits Of Honey
Honey has lots of nutritional benefits as per USDA Nutrient Data laboratory. One tablespoonful of honey contains only 64 calories, 17 grams of carbohydrates plus an indication to have vitamins and minerals content such as sodium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, fluoride, and selenium.
The typical everyday table sugar contents 15 fewer calories than honey and 12.6 carbohydrates, but without vitamins and minerals content. As noted by Mayo Clinic, there is no difference between sugar and honey when it comes to blood sugar levels effect, although honey is denser when it comes to calorie content.
Additionally, honey is sweeter than typical granulated sugar. Hence, it is suggested to use lesser honey than sugar for sweetening purposes. When it comes to weight loss benefits, honey is believed to have an appetite suppressant properties leading to less overall calorie intake, according to one study published in Nutrition Research back in 2011.
Early studies also found that honey helps stabilize ideal levels of insulin in diabetic patients resulting to a stable blood sugar levels. When there is a stable blood sugar level, it creates a satisfying feeling reducing food cravings.
Honey may help support weight loss efforts only if consume in moderation. When it is consumed overly, it can reverse the effect of weight loss. A moderate consumption of honey along with well-balanced eating routine and regular workout can help one achieve ideal weight.
Suggested Honey and Cinnamon Usage For Weight Loss (Cinnamon-Honey Water)
- Pour freshly boiled water into a cup and allow it cool.
- Add half teaspoon of Cinnamon powder and stir thoroughly. Allow the cinnamon powder to infuse for around 30 minutes.
- Filter the cinnamon mixture into a different cup, eliminating the undissolved Cinnamon powder. Allow it water with Cinnamon to cool down completely as hot water can destroy the honey’s nutrients and enzymes content.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to the cool water and cinnamon mixture, then stir thoroughly.
- One cup will serve two servings. Drink half cup in the morning at least 30 minutes before breakfast, and drink the remaining half cup before going to bed.
Do not re-heat the remaining half cup, instead store it at room temperature, or best refrigerate it.
Cinnamon Supplements At Amazon
- Nature’s Bounty Cinnamon 1000mg
- Ceylon Cinnamon – 100% Certified Organic, 500 mg
- Cinnamon Complex X 100 Capsules – Concentrated in Capsule Form
- New Chapter Cinnamon Force, 120 Softgels