The Cohen diet was created by a French nutritional expert,Â Jean Michel Cohen who is also the author of a new diet book, Parisian Diet. Cohen diet plan has 2 variations, the rapid and short diet plan that enables 900 calorie intake per day and the contentment variation that enables 1400 calorie intake per day.
In the rapid variation,Â one can lose 6 to 9 pounds per 2 weeks. While with the contentment variation, one can lose 9 to 11 pounds monthly. It is not recommended to stick to the rapid variation for many months.
The diet is a set of guidelines wherein the goal is to reduce calorie consumption by eating less processed foods, which mostly contain unhealthy saturated fats, and carbohydrates. Healthy and nutritious foods can be found on fresh fruits and vegetables. The diet program was createdÂ for long term commitment. Therefore, this is the primary reason why the goal of daily calorie consumption is between 1500 to 1700.
Moreover, it isÂ easy to maintain the calorie consumption at minimum consideringÂ the calories in fruits and vegetables are extremely low. For instance, lemon juice mixed with water provides approximately 12 calories from the fully squeezed lemon. In addition, tomatoes are excellent, but many people dislikes tomatoes. However, tomatoes barely containÂ 25 calories, and that factor could be huge.
Normally, vegetables have fewer calories compared to fruits because fruits mostly contain sugar. For instance, a medium sized of pears comprises of 120 calories approximately. That is nearly as the same calorie content as a fun-sized pack of sun potato chips having 140 calories.
Foods Permitted In The Cohen Diet
The key is to control the diet plan on your own, for example, only eat when hunger occurs. Include fiber, protein, and sugary foods in one eating. Adjust the eating habits by adding fruits and vegetables to every meal. On the other hand, alcoholic beverages and sweets are prohibited. Yogurt should be consumed sugar-free.
Cohen diet plan encouraged eating lean meats along one’s choice of sea foods. Substituting cheese with yogurt or eggs is also recommended. However, avoid consuming too many eggs, or even just the egg whites. Instead, consume plenty of soups as it is one amazing means to eat plenty of vegetables.
Two Menu Variations Of The Cohen Diet
- The 900 calorie variation of the Cohen diet has the advantage of helping a dieter achieve a quick weight loss results. However, there is a disadvantage as the breakfast menu is not substantial and does not include starchy foods.
- The 1400 calorie variation is balanced.
Samples For The Two Menu Variations
Menu 1 The 900 Calorie Variation
- Tea without sugar
- Green salad with fresh lemon
- 125 grams of grilled skinless chicken
- 1 serving of spinach
- Tomato salad with basil and lemon
- 125 grams of grilled sole
- 1 serving of zucchini
- 200 grams of strawberries
Menu 2 The 1400 Calorie Variation
- 2 crackers with 10 grams of margarine
- 25 grams of cheese spread
- Green salad with dressing
- 125 grams of salmon
- 1 serving of ratatouille
- 2 Kiwi
- Broccoli soup
- 125 grams of lean ground beef
- 100 grams of pasta along with by mushrooms and zucchini
- 25 grams of thick cheese, ideally French Mimolette with 50% butterfat